Becoming a Wright

Nearly 10 years ago, I became a Wright. Marrying into that last name has its fair share of jokes. Of course I married “Mr. Wright” and “you think you are always ‘wright’” and “Don’t forget to turn right Wright, right?” But I’ve grown used to these and have fully embraced being a Wright. I thought I’d be a motivational speaker someday and you’d be able to call me “Mrs. Right”.

It really was about this same time in my life that I found I might be able to write. In high school and college, I was always the math/science geek. English was my least favorite subject and writing never even occurred to me. It was a college professor my senior year that planted the seed. He called me up after the last day of class and said something to the affect that he would be a reference for me if I ever wanted to pursue writing. What? Not me!

That seed sits buried now. It might be spring and time for it to grow, but the fear of putting words to paper…or computer screen is terrifying. There must be things I can do to water and nurture the ability to write. Thus this blog is born. I need to commit. Someone, somewhere might read this. That is the sunshine for my writing seed; readers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shawna,
What a great read you have with your website. Congratulations.
I'm looking forward to seeing you.
Margo
margomacintosh@msn.com

Anonymous said...

GRAMA MORROW // June 7, 2007 at 10:10 am (edit)

SHAWNA, I JUST KNOW YOU WILL BE A FAMOUS WRITER SOME DAY…KEEP IT UP!!!